Itchy throat is not a Symptom of Corona!
However, not every Itchy throat is the symptom. It can be caused by a number of different things. It could be as minor as a common cold or allergic reaction to some food. However, if you have Itchy throat for more than 24 hours or the intensity is high, it is advisable to seek the advice of an ENT Doctor.
What Is An Itchy Throat?
An Itchy throat is a condition that makes your talking and swallowing difficult due to scratchy and uncomfortable feeling in your throat. It can be a sign of hay fever, allergies, illness, and viral or bacterial infection. There are various reasons that cause itchy throat.
Reasons For Itchy Throat:
For example being around smoke for a long time, inhaling irritants, talking a lot, dehydration etc. Itchy throats usually go away on their own after about a week, but chronic itching requires medical attention. An itchy throat is irritating, and makes you feel the need to clear your throat repeatedly.
An itchy throat may feel like:
Symptoms of Itchy Throat
In most cases, an itchy throat is not the only symptom that a person is experiencing. The symptoms that accompany an itchy throats differ depending on the underlying cause.
Some common symptoms associated with itchy throats are:
- Trouble breathing or swallowing
- Burning sensation in chest or throat
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Extreme thirst
- Infrequent dark urine
- Hay fever, Muscle aches and Weakness
- Headache, Nausea and vomiting
- Coughing & Sneezing
- Itchy ears, eyes and skin
- Stomach pain
- Swollen, red, and watery eyes
Causes of Itchy Throat
Allergies are one of the most common causes of an itchy throats.
Causes of itchy throats include:
- Hay fever
- Food allergies
- Drug allergies
- Bacterial or viral infections
- Acid reflux
- Side effects of medication
When to see Doctor?
Although an itchy throat is rarely a medical emergency, it can be a bothersome symptom. If your itchy throat becomes worse overtime (Or) symptoms are not improving with time and home remedies you should seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms that necessitate medical attention include:
- A severe sore throat
- Difficulty swallowing
- Trouble breathing (or) Wheezing
- Facial swelling
Most of the times tearing of the eyes, facial swelling and fever are due to allergies caused by allergens like animals, dust, or mold foods.
Itchy Throat Vs Coronavirus
- It’s essential to distinguish between the symptoms of a simple itchy throat and those that could signal other health problems such as Coronavirus, asthma etc. Itchy throats can be an early symptom of bacterial or viral infection (Or) a sign of allergies that cause hay fever.
- As per the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), COVID-19 symptoms include shortness of breath, cough, and a fever. A fever caused by allergies is not the same as a fever caused by the flu or COVID-19.
- It is also rare to have a stuffy or runny nose with COVID-19. The disease causes symptoms like body aches and tiredness that aren’t associated with allergies.
- COVID-19 is also unlikely to cause a stuffy or runny nose. Symptoms of covid-19 include body pains and fatigue that aren’t usually seen with allergies.
- Symptoms of Allergies last a long time, whilst symptoms of COVID-19 become more serious over a shorter period of time.
- If the cough becomes so severe that you have trouble breathing, it could be a sign of covid-19 or another significant health problem that necessitates urgent medical attention.
- While both seasonal allergies and COVID-19 can cause a dry cough, a cough that causes an irritation in your throat is most often caused by seasonal allergies.
- Seasonal allergies are the most common cause of itchy eyes and sneezing. Covid-19 may be the cause for shortness of breath, body aches, and extreme fatigue.
- Loss of the sense of smell and loss of taste are often referred to as symptoms of COVID.
- For symptoms of COVID-19 (Or) itchy throat call Redheal health care providers at +91 – 88 00 644 744.
Home Remedies for Itchy Throat
Most of the time, this can be managed with simple over-the-counter medications and home remedies. These remedies focus on decreasing inflammation, pain and irritation of the throat, and also symptoms like coughing, wheezing etc.
Simple Home Remedies for Itchy Throats:
- Gargle with salt water
- Consume Honey
- Hot ginger tea with lemon and honey
- Apple cider vinegar
- Milk with turmeric
- Horseradish tea
- Herbal tea
- Lozenges and cough drops
- Nasal spray
For better results, it’s always recommended to check with your doctor before starting any alternative treatments.
Preventing Itchy Throat
If you consistently get an itchy throat, there are several lifestyle adjustments you may need to make to reduce the frequency and duration of your suffering.
- Quit smoking
- Stay hydrated
- Limit caffeine
- Avoid alcohol
- Keep hands clean during flu season
- Don’t open windows and go outside during allergy/flu season