Retinal detachment, a situation where the retina, located at the back of the eye, shift from its normal position. Retinal detachment also leads to separation of retinal cells from the blood vessel layer thus effecting the oxygen supply to the retina. In some cases, totally cutting it down. If left for longer, retinal detachment can cause permanent vision loss in the eye.
Symptoms of Retinal Detachment Retinal detachment have warning symptoms before the actual situation happens. Few are the major symptoms:
- The sudden appearance of floaters. Floaters are tiny specks that look like floating in front of your eye.
- Blurred vision
- Flashes of light
- Reduced side vision
- Presence of curtain-like shadow in your visual field
When to visit an eye Doctor:
If you experience any of the above symptoms, seek immediate medical attention from a qualified eye doctor. Retinal detachment is a medical emergency that requires immediate attention else it can lead to permanent vision loss.
Causes of Retinal Detachment
Retinal detachment is caused usually by 3 means:
- Rhegmatogenous: This type of Retinal detachment is caused when there is a hole or tear in the retina which allows fluid to pass and deposit underneath the Retina. This further distant retina from the underlying tissue causing loss of blood supply and ultimately vision loss. It is mainly caused by ageing. With the age, the gel-like material in the eye converts to liquid, thus causing complications.
- Tractional: This Retinal detachment is a result of scar tissue growing on retina’s surface. People with poorly controlled diabetes or suffering from chronic disease tend to have this condition.
- Exudative: In this type of Retinal detachment, the fluid accommodates below the retina area causing tear/hole in the retina. It can be caused by age-related macular degeneration or because of any injury to the eye.
Usually, surgery is done to treat the retinal tear. However, ask your ophthalmologist before drawing any conclusion. Ask them as many questions related to the risks and benefits of the operation. Laser surgery is usually suggested in case of Retinal Tear. As it is minimal cuts and can be treated with a direct laser beam into the eye.
When it comes to eyes, we all are more concerned than any other. We at Red Heal completely understand your concern. We provide online consultation with an ophthalmologist at Red heal at your comfort hours. Feel free to book an appointment online with our experts at any point you feel any discomfort in the eye. We promise to connect you with the Best Eye Doctor in Hyderabad and provide the right diagnosis available. For any more queries, feel free to contact us at: 8800644744