What Is Bronchitis?
Bronchitis is an illness that is milder than a common cold but more serious than pneumonia. Coughing up mucus on a regular basis, weariness, fever, and a wheezing sound when breathing are all symptoms. Learn how to treat bronchitis, or better yet, how to avoid it.
Bronchitis is a condition in which the bronchioles (air-carrying tubes in the lungs) become inflamed and produce excessive mucus. This Bronchitis Infection can be divided into two categories: acute and chronic.
Bronchitis is broadly classified as:
- Acute Bronchitis: Common form and lasts for a few weeks.
- Chronic Bronchitis: Severe one and keeps coming back even after cured .
Symptoms of both, acute and chronic Bronchitis Infection involves:
- Coughing, followed by mucus – clear, yellow, white or green in colour
- Chest congestion
- Shortness of breath
- Wheezing or whistling sound on breathing
- Body ache and shivering
- Mild fever
- Sore throat
- Running nose.
The major causes of Bronchitis are:
- Breathing in polluted air’ air full of dust and chemical fumes
- Passive smoking
- Asthma and allergies
- Weak immune system
The Doctor diagnosis is based on lab exams. The tests include:
- Checking the oxygen level in the blood
- Performing a lung infection test
- Getting a chest X-Ray
- Blood Tests
- Test of Mucus
Bronchitis Infection Treatments
To ease acute bronchitis, you may follow the following:
- Drink a lot of water
- Get plenty of rest
- Take over the counter cough medicine
- Using a humidifier or steam
- Take pain relievers
Treatment for chronic bronchitis involves:
- Oxygen therapy for better breathing
- Mucus clearing by machines
- Medications – antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, etc.
Bronchitis Infection Prevention:
- Stay away from smoking and smoking zone
- Get a timely flu vaccine
- Wash your hands often
- Wear a mask in highly polluted air
If you still develop symptoms for Bronchitis, it is wise to always refer a Pulmonology Expert nearby and get yourself checked.
To find the Best Pulmonologist in Hyderabad