CoVID-19 is not easy on any of us and it is worst if you or your close ones are suffering from chronic conditions. A chronic condition includes anything like asthma, diabetes, cancer, etc. And our parents and grandparents are the ones that are most affected by this. Not only they are at risk with such chronic condition but also are at higher Risk of having COVID-19. While it is risky for them to step out at this time, a regular check-up is also needed despite the situation.
Here are a few points that could help you manage the chronic conditions at home:
A chronic condition identified by a high glucose level in the blood. To manage diabetes at home:
- Stock up your medicines for atleast a month and store your insulins in the refrigerator.
- Have a personal glucometer and test strips at home. Check your sugar level at times of uneasiness.
- Keep a chart of your glucose levels so you can consult your doctor online whenever needed with enough records in hand.
- Eat your meals on time as meal pattern have a high effect on the insulin level.
- Avoid junk food. Consume fruits/vegetables with the low glycemic index, such as carrots, legumes and non-starchy vegetables.
Hypertension is usually caused by high BP range of more than 140-90 mm. How to manage hypertension in lockdown:
- Ask your Doctor and stock up on hypertensive medicines for a month.
- Chart your BP for a week and consult your Doctor online for further instructions.
- Make sure your salt intake is minimum.
- Check your BP in case of fatigue/headache/uneasiness.
Anything affecting the heart/blood vessels lies under the category of heart disease. To manage heart disease in lockdown, follow the below listed:
- Do not miss your regular medicines, especially if you have undergone any surgery.
- Stock up medicine for 1-2 months and set a reminder to take them on time.
- Check on BP level at regular intervals as it is directly proportional to disturbances in heart
- Reduce salt intake, avoid heavy dairy items and fatty products, stay hydrated.
- Indulge in Yoga and meditation daily to keep yourself active and for a healthy heart pace.
- If you feel any uneasiness or difficulty, reach out to your doctor online without any delay.
- Do not self-medicate.
Asthma is a respiratory condition causing inflammation and narrowing of airways. This happens due to excess mucus production. To manage Asthma at home:
- Stock up on inhalers and medicines
- Practice deep breathing exercises and yoga to build lung capacity. Do not indulge in heavy weightlifting or exhausting exercise.
- Avoid being in presence of aerosols, cigarette smoke or other allergens that tend to trigger asthma.
Cancer is a disease caused by abnormal uncontrolled cell growth. This leads to damage of body tissues spreading from one body part to another. To manage cancer at home:
- Stock up and set a daily reminder to intake your cancer medicines.
- Keep names and phone numbers of Doctors handy
- Pain and anxiety are part of cancer treatment. Make sure you stay close to family so as to seek the necessary emotional support. Speak to a mental health professional online if necessary.
- Reach out to your Doctor online if you face severe fever, fatigue or pain.
If you are suffering from any chronic disease make sure you follow general guidelines and step out of the house only if it is extremely necessary. Make as much use of hand sanitizers outside and wash your hands frequently while at home. If you have any further concerns for yourself or your family member, please feel free to reach out to us. You can Connect with the Top Doctors online on our platform and can seek the necessary medical advice.