Obstructive sleep apnea, commonly known as sleep disorder causes unusual breathing pattern. The breathing abruptly starts and stop during sleep. It is caused by throat muscles relaxing and blocking the airway during sleep. The initial symptom of sleep apnea syndrome is snoring.
There are number of treatment available to treat this. One of them is using an artificial device that utilizes positive pressure to keep the airway open thus preventing the snoring.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
Symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea include:
- Loud snoring
- Daytime sleepiness
- Sudden irregularity in breathing while sleeping
- Abrupt awakenings accompanied by choking
- Awakening with a sore throat
- Headache in the morning
- Difficulty in concentration during the day
- Nigh-time sweating
- Decreased Libido
Visit a Pulmonology Doctor:
If you have any of the above symptoms present, visit a Pulmonology Doctor. As most of the people do not treat snoring as a serious problem, hence they have a casual attitude towards it. However, snoring can leave you chronically fatigued, sleepy and irritable.
Sleep apnea disorder causes:
Obstructive sleep apnea is caused when the back of the throat relax too much for normal breathing. These muscles are responsible to support the back of the roof of the mouth. The airway narrows with the muscle relaxing thus lowering the level of oxygen in the blood and causing a build-up of carbon dioxide. The brain when sense the impaired breathing wakes up the person from the sleep to correct the sleep.
Obstructive sleep apnea: Risk Factors
- Excess weight: Fat deposits around the upper airway obstruct breathing. Medical conditions cause obesity.
- Narrowed airway: Enlarged tonsils blocks airway
- Hypertension: High blood pressure is common in people with hypertension.
- Chronic Nasal congestion: Regardless of the cause, obstructive sleep apnea occurs twice as often to people who have consistent nasal congestion at night.
- Smoking: People who smoke tends to develop obstructive sleep apnea
- Lifestyle Changes
- Lose weight
- Regular exercise
- Quit Smoking
- Take allergy medications
- Stop consuming sedative medicines
- A mouthpiece or oral device
After consulting your doctor to diagnose the disorder correctly, we advise you to fix an appointment with the Best Pulmonology Doctor in Hyderabad.