Tuberculosis, commonly spelt as TB, is a contagious infection of lungs and is tend to spread in Brain and Spine, if exist for long. Tuberculosis is caused by bacteria, Mycobacterium tuberculosis. It can be cured by antibiotics, but the medication lasts until 6-9 months.
The initial TB symptoms include:
- Cough, lasting more than 3 weeks
- Cough with blood
- Chest pain
- Chills and fever
- Loss of appetite
- Sudden weight loss
However, to confirm it’s TB, you need to get a blood test under the supervision of an expert pulmonology Doctor.
Tuberculosis is classified as latent TB and Active TB. Latent TB usually has no visible symptoms, while active TB involves multiplying of bacteria in the body at a faster rate. Thus making active TB more contagious.
- The treatment for latent TB involves killing the bacteria at an initial stage so as the individual doesn’t develop the active TB.
- Individuals with active TB have to undergo medication course for 6-12 months, depending on the severity of the disease.
TB is also known as Pulmonary Tuberculosis, as it directly is associated and affects the Lungs. It is spread through bacteria in the air and is life-threatening if proper treatment is not received.
TB is spread when someone sneezes, coughs or talks too close to your face. The tiny droplets are released that contains the germs. Tuberculosis is not spread through surface touch, that is, it doesn’t get spread by shaking hands or sharing food/drinks.
To prevent spreading TB, the following measures should be taken:
- For patients with latent TB, take your medications on time so as you don’t develop active TB, as it is more contagious.
- For patients with active TB, limit your contact with other people, avoid going to a public place and cover your mouth when you sneeze, laugh, or cough. Put on a surgical mask when you are around people.
To get yourself diagnosed, Fix an Appointment with the Best Pulmonologist in Hyderabad