Know your Thyroid!
The thyroid gland is located in the middle of the front of the neck in the shape of a butterfly. It wraps the trachea.
Functions of the Thyroid gland
Thyroid Glad makes use of the iodine present in food (especially salt and seafood) and produces hormones that regulate the body’s metabolism and vital functions such as growth and regulating the hormones during pregnancy. Calcitonin is also produced by the Thyroid gland which helps in developing strong bones and density.
Thyroid gland hormones
The hormones produced by the butterfly gland are T4 (Thyroxine) and T3 (Triiodothyronine). The disorders caused by the involvement of Thyroid gland could be various such as goiter, which is harmless to life-threatening cancers.
Problems caused by the Thyroid gland
The overproduction of Thyroid gland leads to a clinical condition called Hyperthyroidism and lesser production leads to Hypothyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism is the main cause of many clinical conditions which are as follows.
- Subacute Thyroiditis: This is a typical condition where inflammation of the thyroid gland is seen. The excess secretion of the hormones makes the swollen thyroid gland and causes to diffuse into the surrounding organs, which may last for weeks to months.
- Adenoma: lumps and nodules that grow in the thyroid gland secrete hormones which imbalances the hormones in the body causing unexpected irritation, obstructive sleep apnea, dyspnea, miscarriages and so on.
- Graves’ Disease: It’s an autoimmune disease. It may last for months and sometimes disappears over a few years.
Symptoms of HyperThyroidism:
- Sudden weight loss
- Overeating or increased appetite
- Pounding of heart with an irregular heartbeat
- Tremors observed in the fingers
- Nervousness in every situation
- Irregular menstruation
- Swollen thyroid gland at the base of the neck
- Sensitive to heat
- Increased bowel movements
- Weakness, fatigue
- Insomnia (sleeplessness)
- Unusual sweating
- Lowered production of the thyroid hormones (Hypothyroidism) can cause multiple health issues which range from heart diseases, joint aches, and infertility to obesity. So it is advised to watch your thyroid disorders in order to stay fit and healthy.
Clinical conditions caused due to Hypothyroidism
If the Thyroid gland is removed through a surgical procedure or becomes inactive due to the usage of some drugs, it affects the hormone production and also lowers the energy levels
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: it is an autoimmune disease
Radiation: The radiation therapy is given for certain cancers which be in the head an neck. This also affects the production of Thyroid resulting in hypothyroidism
Medications: Certain medications when taken for a prolonged period of time affect the production of the thyroid gland leading to hypothyroidism.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Sensitive to Cold
- Weight gain
- Weakness and fatigue
- Irregular menstruation
- Hair loss
- Depression, anxiety
- Dry skin
- Puffed up face
- Lowered heartbeat
- Increased cholesterol in the blood
- Always feeling sleepy and drowsy
Due to lack of awareness, many are suffering from various clinical conditions and problems of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. If you find any of these symptoms call us for an Appointment with an Endocrinologist who can offer the best treatment for your betterment.